Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Double Super 8 Foma - where to develop?

  1. #1
    Inactive Member npp's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 6th, 2000
    Posts
    16
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi.

    Does anyone know where I can develop Foma R 100 double super 8mm film? Please note, I'm only interested in U.S. labs.

    Also, if you have used the lab, could you please comment on the quality? If you have used Foma R 100, could you also comment on the quality of the filmstock? I've never had experience with it.

    Thanks for your help.

  2. #2
    Inactive Member cameraguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 28th, 2001
    Posts
    831
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Talking

    I had one processed at Yale Film & Video and they did an excellent job. I had a few rolls processed by Plattsburgh Photographic and one was iffy and the other was really bad (I don't think the chemicals used were fresh). Next place I'm going try is Franklin Film Lab.

  3. #3
    Inactive Member npp's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 6th, 2000
    Posts
    16
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I've read that Yale Labs are a bit funny when it comes to certain types of shoots - mostly nudity. Since I do nude studies and there are nude in my films, I'd rather avoid any sort of issue when the lab processing it.

    I took a look at Franklin, they don't mention anything about processing double super 8. But I will e-mail them and ask.

    Thanks for your help!

  4. #4
    Inactive Member chas_ucla's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 13th, 2000
    Posts
    345
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><table border="0" width="90%" bgcolor="#333333" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0"><tr><td width="100%"><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" bgcolor="#FF9900"><tr><td width="100%" bgcolor="#DDDDDD"><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by npp:
    I've read that Yale Labs are a bit funny when it comes to certain types of shoots - mostly nudity. Since I do nude studies and there are nude in my films, I'd rather avoid any sort of issue when the lab processing it.

    I took a look at Franklin, they don't mention anything about processing double super 8. But I will e-mail them and ask.

    Thanks for your help!
    </font></td></tr></table></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE>

    Be aware -- Franklin Film Labs have the exact same policy Yale does -- I wouldn't be surprised if they are made up of former employees. And I know they preview at least some of the films they process because they commented on one of mine.

    Chas

  5. #5
    Inactive Member npp's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 6th, 2000
    Posts
    16
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    At this rate I'm thinking it might be best to hand process and build my own slitter.

    Well, thanks for the tip off. Guess I'll actually consider sending the footage off to Europe for developing.

  6. #6
    Inactive Member Cranium's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 6th, 2001
    Posts
    117
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    www.franklinfilmlab.com

    $17 slit and processed and stuck on a 200' reel.

    with $15 for the stock, this is the cheapest way to shoot film around!

    Oh, and Franklin kicks butt, and labels your reels according to whatever label you had on the carts (when using carts...)

    As always, talk to them before doing anything you think THEY might find iffy. And I'm glad they peek at the film, I'd love to hear back sooner than later if my film was trashed..

  7. #7
    Inactive Member npp's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 6th, 2000
    Posts
    16
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Thanks a lot!

    I'm still waiting to hear what Franklin say about my nude content as well as the DS8 Foma R100 processing. I'll post it when I get a reply. If I remember after using them, I'll also post how the development came out and how the Foma stock looks. Can't wait.

  8. #8
    Inactive Member npp's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 6th, 2000
    Posts
    16
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi folks. I recieved an e-mail the owner, Frank Wood. Here is what he said:

    "Yes I can process DS8. The price I charge is as though it were a 100' roll of 16mm B&W reversal plus a $2.00 slitting and reel charge. So the total costs for processing will be $17.00 plus any applicable tax and shipping."

    --&gt; I think this is a great price personally.

    I will paragraph his stance on the nudity issue. He said he is a devotee of Jesus Christ and will not process movies with certain film content. That being said, he noted that he didn't consider my nude studies to be pornographic. However, he also went on to say that he would determine what is pornographic on a customer by customer basis. The first time he recieves such content - the PROCESSED film will be sent back to the customer with a written notice not to send anymore in. If you send a second shipment with the same type of content, then the PROCESSED film will be sent back again with a reminder notice and you will be blacklisted - and I should note that there is no hardcopy of the list and he is quite nice about worrying it may fall in the wrong hands to be used against you.

    --&gt; While I do not personally care fot his business practice, I think he was quite reasonable. After all, it is HIS company and I can understand his objections. This being said, I probably won't use his lab. I need a lot of film processed and I don't know if I feel comfortable having anyone look at my work and judge whether it is pornographic or not. My idea of pornographic is quite liberal compared to some.

    I was joking earlier about home developing. But maybe it's not a bad idea. I've home developed 8mm and it turned out fine. I just have to build a drying rack for a 100 ft roll.

  9. #9
    Inactive Member Nigel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 31st, 2000
    Posts
    1,668
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Film and Video Services in Minneapolis might 612/789-8622 or you could try PAC Labs in NYC 212/505-7797 I have had good results with both. Good Luck

  10. #10
    Inactive Member Nigel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 31st, 2000
    Posts
    1,668
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Oh, By the way--I have processed a ton of film. Before I got a true drying rack I used my shower and it worked fine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •